FAQ | Search | Memberlist | Usergroups | Register | Profile | Inbox | Log in | SmartFeedSmartFeed

okgg.org > Forum Index > IRL > I ate a sandwich...*ouch*

Author    Thread Post new topic  Reply to topic
Shinare
SEXNOCULAR

I ate a sandwich...*ouch*  Reply with quote  

Me and my Yaris were the meat in a three car sandwich yesterday. Stopped traffic on an exit ramp and I was the last car stopped on the ramp when a lady exited the highway (at highway speed) and didnt see us stopped in time and slammed into the back of me pushing me into an equinox in front of me.

Yaris was towed to a wrecker yard where the lady's insurance has taken over and towed to a body shop. Still not sure if its totaled or not. The lady's civic was quite obviously totaled, her front bumper practically met her firewall, both her airbags deployed, but they say my yaris might be "fixable". She looked remarkably good compared to the civic that hit her.

I, on the other hand, am at home with sore everything, especially my neck and shoulders. My poor yaris. Hopefully they can fix her. Sad

Post Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:53 pm  View user's profile Send private message ICQ Number
Brules
M F C E O

Man that sucks - did your airbags deploy?

Get well!

Post Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:41 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Drix
SEAT #ASS 10

Brules wrote: Man that sucks - did your airbags deploy?

Get well!

Seconded. Sad

Post Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:34 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Shinare
SEXNOCULAR

Thanks guys, no the air bags didn't deploy which make me wonder if they even work. I was hit VERY hard in the rear slamming me into the car infront of me. *sigh* Feeling much better now. Neck and back are still pretty sore, but the rest of my body is feeling much better. The Flexril helps a lot, heh.

Post Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:17 am  View user's profile Send private message ICQ Number
Brules
M F C E O

Ha, you may have been better off with no air bag deployment....I have heard they can F you up pretty good!

Post Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:33 am  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Shinare
SEXNOCULAR

While we were waiting for the tow trucks the lady that hit me and I were talking. She said it felt like her airbag burnt the side of her face and neck. Ouch!

The guy at the body shop said the "preliminary" estimate was $2,500 which I told him I thought sounded way to little. He told me it was for a replacement front and back bumpers and repair to radiator. I siad there HAS to be more damage than that, just looking at the hood and the hatch back they are dented in but he said he cant look at it further untill I sign something saying they can do the work. Sounds like he works for the insurance company, not me. Sad

Post Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:46 pm  View user's profile Send private message ICQ Number
Brules
M F C E O

Talk to LC - he knows the insurance rackets pretty well I think......

Post Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:58 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Menos
Broke My Labia

You are under NO obligation to accept the other persons insurance estimate or their repair shop. The lady's insurance is trying to take you for a loop. DO NOT SIGN ANYTHING!!!!!

Post Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:29 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Shinare
SEXNOCULAR

To catch up on things:

I received word Friday the 18th that my car was a total loss (I KNEW there was more than just $2,500 damage on it), a sizeable check would be given to me that day, and I would be responsible for the rental car if not returned post haste (Wednesday of last week).

I've never felt "obligated" to purchase a car before. But I was clearly being pressured to return the rental car or I would "be charged the remainder of the bill". Not having a car for me to get to work is not an option. I was given a check that day by an adjuster that came to my house after work to retrieve the title and was told again about the rental car. He also told me to "go see a doctor" even though he was on the car side of things I was complaining about my neck and back and told me it was important to get it looked at NOW. (but that's not his thing so don't quote him, heh)

So on that Saturday, I deposited said check that, just for the car, was for enough money I didn't have room to complain at all. I then proceeded to look all day and night for a car and did not find one. I then looked all Sunday without the hassle of the used car salesmen, but it was the first time ever I wished they were open so I could buy one. I took off work Monday and looked again, hitting possibilities I found Sunday. With the light waning on another day without a car I just up and bought one, a 2007 Dodge Caliber with 49k miles, and signed the check. I didn't even care much for the car, and I didn't even haggle with the guy. I felt so bad and wanted it all to just end. (see below)

As for my neck and back, they are sore all the time and even hurt quite a bit sometimes. I'm going to a doctor soon, but I have so much going on right now I don't know when I will have the time. Sad That and I'm suffering what I would self diagnose as clinical depression. *sigh* Too much shit going on I guess. Such is life tho I guess.

Anyway, thanks for the kind thoughts you guys. I hope you all can by-pass ever having to deal with this shit. It sux.

As an epilogue to my tale of sadness, my new car was broken into last Friday while I was in Houston with my entire family on my mom's side (an annual family reunion). They busted out the glass in a rear door and stole a backpack my daughter had left in there. Which caused us to spend a good portion of black Friday shopping for a new window in Houston and then canceling my daughters bank account since her checkbook was in the backpack. *double sigh*

Post Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:50 pm  View user's profile Send private message ICQ Number
Brules
M F C E O

Wow man that double sucks......!

Post Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:55 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
VinceVaughn
Cougar Hawk

holy crap man....here is hoping thing look up for you....

Post Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:37 pm  View user's profile Send private message
Shinare
SEXNOCULAR

So, I hate to dredge up a long lost topic it but adds special meaning to what I'm about to say.

So to fill in a small gap from the OP, I did purchase a dodge caliber, but since gave that to my daughter and bought myself another Yaris. I just missed my original Yaris that I loved so much I had to have another one.

So... Last week I was hit again, and I was in that Yaris that I got after giving my Caliber to my Daughter... *sigh*

17 year old girl didn't see me (she said) as I was passing by 7-11 and just gunned it out of the 7-11 entrance to cross the street. Tagged me. Working through the repair process now. Another Yaris bites the dust I'm afraid. I believe this will be the last Yaris I own.

Post Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:58 pm  View user's profile Send private message ICQ Number
Brules
M F C E O

Man you have the shit luck lol.......I drive 30-45k miles a year and am accident free for like 10 years lol!

Post Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:04 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Shinare
SEXNOCULAR

Yeah, my insurance agent said the same thing, jokingly I hope. Heh. The car is at the repair shop. When I get it back I will probably go trade it in on something a little bigger. Seems people have a problem "seeing" my car.

Post Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:58 am  View user's profile Send private message ICQ Number
Anreill
812,800,000nm Satisfies Me!

Shinare wrote: Yeah, my insurance agent said the same thing, jokingly I hope. Heh. The car is at the repair shop. When I get it back I will probably go trade it in on something a little bigger. Seems people have a problem "seeing" my car.

Just keep it and paint neon green.

Post Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:00 am  View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Sevnn
Candy Cane King

Just catching up on the thread. Your luck is bound to get better as it can't get much worse... I agree on the body shop run around early on with the insurance. I'm glad they totaled it out, you don't want a car hit that bad to be fixed. You'll be chasing strange issues forever and it won't sell for the same value with that much damage on it. I've never heard about the rental car pressure like that but sometimes you have to play their game. I'm sure they've had a lot of people say "you didn't tell me about the rental car return" so they are offsetting such a screwed up rule with telling you over and over again so you don't fight it.

Where did you buy the car from? I haven't bought a car from CarMax but their selection is hard to beat and very hassle free. Most of the feedback I've heard from them has been positive.

Get into a doctor ASAP. If you are having pain for more than a few days you have something wrong and you don't want that to sit at all. The doc probably can't do much besides pain control and physical therapy for future prevention, but there will be money from the insurance company. Don't feel bad going after them. You didn't do anything wrong and you shouldn't be forced to hurt because of someone else's negligence. Don't assume it will get better on its own. I had a work related back injury a couple years ago and I didn't want to go after my employer. My hope was that it would get better over time and it hasn't. I have constant pain and frustration from it.

You are lucky you didn't have an airbag deployment and I don't suspect anything was wrong with the car. Airbags don't deploy from the force of the impact, they deploy from rapid acceleration/deceleration. If your car stops faster (more G-force) than your brakes can create, the car knows you've hit something and if the force is above a threshold they deploy. Being hit from behind there is no positive advantage of the air bags deploying. Hitting the car in front of you could have a potential benefit of deployment but only if you were accelerated above a threshold speed and then stopped again suddenly. In your case they would have only done more damage. Air bags deploy so quickly they do cause skin burns from friction and impact, bruises, contusions, lacerations, and can even break bones. My wife was in a bad accident years before I met her and had to have multiple surgeries as a result of the accident. Her face hit so hard by the bag that she was swollen nearly to the limit of her skin and had to have drains put in. I've seen pictures and she was far from recognizable as the person I know now.

Post Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:47 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address ICQ Number
Shinare
SEXNOCULAR

Thanks for the kind thoughts and advise, still waiting for the body shop to give an estimate on repairs. A guy who is a Toyota service repair man saw the damage and told me that its probably totaled due to the labor involved in cutting and welding in new panels as well as suspension work and painting. But he also added the caviot that every body shop is different. The place its at now might try and repair it cheaply and to make sure that it is repaired to the same condition it was in prior to the accident and to accept nothing less.

Post Thu Dec 04, 2014 1:11 pm  View user's profile Send private message ICQ Number
Shinare
SEXNOCULAR

Quick update: Ins Co just told me they are repairing the car and should be available mid to end of next week. Hold-up has been waiting for parts.

Now I just get to worry they are going to bodge it back up and call it done rather than doing it the right way.

Post Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:00 pm  View user's profile Send private message ICQ Number
Sevnn
Candy Cane King

You can always reject the work and force them to fix it better. If it has ANY indication of damage, force the rework. You do not have to settle.

Post Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:39 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address ICQ Number
Brules
M F C E O

Unless you have crap cheap insurance, they should fix it right. They can fix just about anything now a days pretty easily with plasma torches and welders........my rule is take it to a dealership to be fixed. They will use the right parts and do good work. Most of the time lol.

Post Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:05 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Quick Reply

Jump to:  
Forum Rules: