FAQ | Search | Memberlist | Usergroups | Register | Profile | Inbox | Log in | SmartFeedSmartFeed

okgg.org > Forum Index > IRL > Need Recommendations: Boat Mechanic

Author    Thread Post new topic  Reply to topic
Goahed Makemyda
Thursday Night Massacre Host

Need Recommendations: Boat Mechanic  Reply with quote  

Anyone know a good boat motor mechanic (for outboard 25HP) in OKC? I just bought a boat used and it has a fuel leak issue. I would just like to have it looked over and have them tell me what condition it's in before I pay the balance due.

I have 15 days to inspect it before declining the deal, but the boat and trailer, trolling motor and fish finder are great so if the motor can be easily fixed and is in good condition otherwise it will be a steal of a price!

Thanks in advance.

Post Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:38 am  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Shinare
SEXNOCULAR

I know nothing about this so I will give my opinion, but I would think a good car mechanic would also make a good boat mechanic for both inboard and outboard motors? *shrug*

Smile

Post Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:53 am  View user's profile Send private message ICQ Number
Goahed Makemyda
Thursday Night Massacre Host

Thanks for the thoughts but not so much really. An inboard boat motor is indeed just an automotive engine adapted to operate in a boat, but outboards for the most part, at least in smaller fishing boat engines, are 2 stroke, much like big lawn mower engines. There are a lot of complexities in dealing with these engines though, i.e. water pump systems, fuel systems, electrical, etc. Also the fact that lawnmowers don't usually have many safe guards against water penetration like boat motors do Smile

Basically I am going to do what I usually do, buy a book, study the web and become my own expert, at least for my own engine. As long as you understand engines and can study a service manual you can muddle through with a relatively high degree of success. It's just that if I could find a good mechanic I would like them to look over the motor and give me their opinion.

Post Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:08 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Quick Reply

Jump to:  
Forum Rules: