FAQ | Search | Memberlist | Usergroups | Register | Profile | Inbox | Log in | SmartFeedSmartFeed

okgg.org > Forum Index > All Things Technical > Long range WiFi sharing using directional antenna?

Author    Thread Post new topic  Reply to topic
Brules
M F C E O

Long range WiFi sharing using directional antenna?  Reply with quote  

Need advice on how my wifes cousin can share his internet connection from his house out to his metal building with a home office inside.

His wifi router will push it outside the house but once you get to the metal bldg it dies completely. Booster has not helped.

I was thinking some kind of directional antenna like this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004PFQX7K?tag=kinjamod-20&ascsubtag=[postId|5911812[asin|B004PFQX7K[authorId|5716800388103282674[referrer|www.google.com[type|mod-title

But not sure how it all works? Can something like that be hooked up to the enthernet port on the router?

Does the 2nd one just connect to the PC?

Any help is much appreciated....

Post Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:06 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Sevnn
Candy Cane King

That is an access point and a directional antenna in one box. You would hook it up to their main router/switch and it would build a new wireless network pointed at the building. It does support PoE, power over ethernet, so you can put the transformer in a convenient location and run just an ethernet cable to it. PoE does have some distance limitations but it will help tremendously with the installation of this type of device.

Once this is installed you will have WiFi pointed at the building. That might be enough but in my similar attempts it hasn't worked. The problem with just using one of these is that your WiFi client, such as an iPhone or laptop, has to be able to transmit its signal back to this device. Being that the client is not setup for directional use, it won't be very effective. The device you are looking at will have better reception of wireless signals than a standard omni-directional antenna, but I wouldn't count on it being enough.

The next step is to put one of these devices at each end of the wireless link, pointed at each other. This will allow you to setup a very solid wireless connection between the devices and keep them focused on just that link. From the metal building's device you would run another ethernet cable (and PoE brick) down to another wireless router, if they want wireless device support in the building, or just a switch if they just want wired devices.

Another option is to use normal off the shelf access points and buy directional antennas. This is the approach that I've tried with my neighbor and so far I've been completely unsuccessful. I've tried 3 different directional antennas tied to both a WRT54G and my AC1900 and neither were able to setup a solid link to the devices in his house. I had as much luck with cut open coke cans as I did with off the shelf antennas. I have a couple more steps to try before I give up but I'll probably end up with a device just like you found on both sides of the link. If you are curious, my neighbor won't spend the money on internet at his house, that's part of the reason he can afford to own 18 or so cars. I have plenty of bandwidth and I'm over there enough that I want it available when I'm there.

Post Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:56 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address ICQ Number
Sevnn
Candy Cane King

For reference, these are the antennas that I've tried:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003YL5WJG
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DSVPAGM
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005UBNJ48
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003CFATNS

Post Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:01 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address ICQ Number
Brules
M F C E O

So I would need a TP link Router, 2x WAP like I linked and then another wireless router?

Lets talk more at LAN......

Post Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:12 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Brules
M F C E O

Also here is the N version:

http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-WA7510N-Outdoor-Wireless-150Mbps/dp/B00731EX3E/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1405563484&sr=1-1&keywords=High+Power+Outdoor+Wireless+Access+Point

Post Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:19 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Anreill
812,800,000nm Satisfies Me!

Dunno what kind of range you're looking at. We use 5Ghz Engenius ENH500s for our links. They work great, golf course and airport are 2-3 miles from the main tower and are plenty fast. Only $160 for a pair on Newegg. Mike sells Engenius too, not sure what kind of pricing he can get for em.

They can be configured for multiple setups. Can do a switch on both sides, or just have a cable running straight to the device on the receiving end. Believe PoE adapters are included with them.

Post Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:33 pm  View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Brules
M F C E O

Cool, will talk to mike saturday.

Post Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:39 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Goahed Makemyda
Thursday Night Massacre Host

Ubiquity or Engenius is what we sell for that application and the work very well. You can get some serious range from them. See you Saturday.

Post Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:45 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Goahed Makemyda
Thursday Night Massacre Host

Sevnn wrote: Another option is to use normal off the shelf access points and buy directional antennas. This is the approach that I've tried with my neighbor and so far I've been completely unsuccessful. I've tried 3 different directional antennas tied to both a WRT54G and my AC1900 and neither were able to setup a solid link to the devices in his house. I had as much luck with cut open coke cans as I did with off the shelf antennas. I have a couple more steps to try before I give up but I'll probably end up with a device just like you found on both sides of the link. If you are curious, my neighbor won't spend the money on internet at his house, that's part of the reason he can afford to own 18 or so cars. I have plenty of bandwidth and I'm over there enough that I want it available when I'm there.

Why don't you guys ever ask me first. We kinda do this stuff Professionally for a living....I have proven solutions...sigh

Post Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:49 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Brules
M F C E O

Speaking of, I need a copy of Windows 8.1 pro. How much and can you bring to LAN?

Post Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:12 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Sevnn
Candy Cane King

Goahed Makemyda wrote: Why don't you guys ever ask me first. We kinda do this stuff Professionally for a living....I have proven solutions...sigh

I did ask around but didn't think about you guys. My attempts were mostly just me experimenting to see what different antennas would do.

Post Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:19 am  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address ICQ Number
Shinare
SEXNOCULAR

CANTENNA!!!!!

Very Happy

Post Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:41 pm  View user's profile Send private message ICQ Number

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Quick Reply

Jump to:  
Forum Rules: