FAQ | Search | Memberlist | Usergroups | Register | Profile | Inbox | Log in | SmartFeedSmartFeed

okgg.org > Forum Index > All Things Technical > Need ur help: Budget gaming PC for my son?

Author    Thread Post new topic  Reply to topic
Shinare
SEXNOCULAR

Need ur help: Budget gaming PC for my son?  Reply with quote  

Hey all, I'm embarrassed to say that its been so long since I've looked at PC hardware that I've really lost touch with what is good value for performance out there right now. (Video cards especially) My son's PC (as well as mine but thats another story) is horridly out dated to the tune of a P4 with 1GB of memory. Anyway I promised him if he did better in school and brought up his grades I would get him a "Gaming" PC that he could run his Skyrim and Path of Exile on. And lo-and-behold he's almost got straight A's now heh. So... heres where I need help. Do I just buy a pre-made combo like this one or try to do better for around the same price? And by better I mean performance for value. I want to spend $400-500 but of course, being the cheapass that I am, the cheaper the better, but hopefully something that will hold up. This needs to be his PC probably for the next 4 years through high-school. No OC and really no fiddling with at all. Just a good daily runner that plays games.

What do ya'll think?

Post Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:42 pm  View user's profile Send private message ICQ Number
Sevnn
Candy Cane King

Does it need to be a PC or would a laptop give additional value? You can buy quite a lot of laptop for that price range these days.

Post Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:27 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address ICQ Number
Drix
SEAT #ASS 10

Sevnn wrote: Does it need to be a PC or would a laptop give additional value? You can buy quite a lot of laptop for that price range these days.

Seconded.

Post Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:03 am  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Brules
M F C E O

Any examples?

Also Drix, link the laptop you just got - I was impressed with it!

Post Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:45 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Shinare
SEXNOCULAR

A laptop would be nice but are there any out there in the price range I'm looking for that would be an adequate gamer?

Post Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:59 am  View user's profile Send private message ICQ Number
Sevnn
Candy Cane King

I haven't looked for any specifically. I'd research budget performanced focused video card chipsets and go from there.

Post Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:30 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address ICQ Number
Shinare
SEXNOCULAR

Well, in the end I ebay'ed him an i5 650 with 4GB and 250GB hard drive for $199, was a lot of several and I got the last one lol. Sharp lookin case and a pretty good 450W dual rail with PCIe connectors.

I then eBay'ed him a eVGA GeForce 650 ti Boost for $114 after shipping. So for a little over $300 he has a pretty sweet setup.

I found out that the school we are sending him to next year (he starts high school) is forcing us to buy him an iPad (*gag*) and "everything" he will be doing in school will be done on that according to them so I didnt go the laptop route.

Post Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:53 pm  View user's profile Send private message ICQ Number
Brules
M F C E O

Links? That is a pretty sweet set up for cheap man. You are still the master of CHEAP! Smile

Post Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:10 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Shinare
SEXNOCULAR

Computer (I added 2GB and bigger HD when it came since I had them lying around)

Vid Card

Post Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:29 pm  View user's profile Send private message ICQ Number
Shinare
SEXNOCULAR

PS That video card is BEAST... better than mine I paid almost twice as much for.

Post Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:30 pm  View user's profile Send private message ICQ Number

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Quick Reply

Jump to:  
Forum Rules: