FAQ | Search | Memberlist | Usergroups | Register | Profile | Inbox | Log in | SmartFeedSmartFeed

okgg.org > Forum Index > All Things Technical > SFF compudahs

Author    Thread Post new topic  Reply to topic
Despite
I am Chaotic Good Bitchy.

SFF compudahs  Reply with quote  

Remember a few years ago when those sweet little Shuttle SFF PCs were popular? I had one (still do, actually) of the SN95Gs, and it was awesome. Do people still use those things for LAN party rigs? If not, what do people use these days? My google-fu is weak, so I wanted to ask an audience that might have some insight.

I'd love to have something really portable again, but it seems like the trend these days is towards REALLY tiny machines that wouldn't be able to handle anything graphically intensive.

Post Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:09 pm  View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ICQ Number
Brules
M F C E O

They still make them, but they are not NEAR as popular as they once were. I think it is primarily due to the size and power requirements of GPU's now a days.

I built a mATX machine and got a Lian Li case thinking it would be "similiar".....fuck no, it is huge compared to my beloved shuttle.

I think the only thing even close now that would still run a good GPU would be a micro ATX build....or *gasp* a laptop like one of those Sager's.

I am seriously contemplating something like that when I upgrade in a year or 2. Laptop + monitor FTW.

Post Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:38 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Shinare
SEXNOCULAR

Just buy a case and put a handle on top of it. Very Happy

Post Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:55 am  View user's profile Send private message ICQ Number
Menos
Broke My Labia

I have this case and it's pretty convenient. It's got a decent amount of room inside.

I think the mATX cases are the new SFF. Too many space constraints in the shuttles and if you really need it super small you can just go with a pre-built usff.

Post Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:43 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Brules
M F C E O

Yeah but that case and any mATX case is 5x bigger than the shuttles were. But their power supplies sucked and probably cant power todays big graphics cards.

Post Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:38 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
LightningCrash
Smile like Bob, order your free LC today

I've seen a lot of these Lian Lis on the webz
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112222

Post Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:14 pm  View user's profile Send private message
Brules
M F C E O

Still is 2-3x the size of the Shuttle. Pics make it look smaller than it is. 15" x 10" x 10". Thats about the size of mine:

Nice thing though is I could fit an H60 push/pull water cpu cooler in it....

Mine is the Lian Li PCv354

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1523895&highlight=v354

Post Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:17 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Shinare
SEXNOCULAR

Seriously, how about this case and a mini-itx mobo? Can fit a full sized gfx card (AMD Radeon HD 7990/NVIDIA GTX 690) and PSU...

Post Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:44 pm  View user's profile Send private message ICQ Number
Despite
I am Chaotic Good Bitchy.

That seems workable, and the price is definitely right. It looks like the PSU would sit right on top of the CPU cooler though, and maybe starve it of airflow.

Post Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:07 am  View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ICQ Number
Brules
M F C E O

use a water cooled CPU cooler and mount the radiator/fan on a side and cut a hole in it. Bring in fresh outside air. The newer style 1 piece CPU coolers are bad ass man........love mine.

On my pic above, bottom left of the case is a Corsair H60 with a push pull set up. CPU runs rock steady at 34c even while gaming.

Post Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:24 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Sevnn
Candy Cane King

I'm in love with my H60. CPU temp issues are a thing of the past. Mounting is easy, plenty of clearance, no issues with a big heavy ass sink strapped to the top of a fragile CPU, I can get the heat to the side of the case without affecting the rest of the case, and big fans are nice and quiet.

Post Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:04 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address ICQ Number
Brules
M F C E O

Dual 120's on the H60 rock.

Beats the old days of Despite bringing tupperware containers full of antifreeze! Smile

Post Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:38 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Menos
Broke My Labia

I run a H50 on my overclocked 950. I run ~45°C at idle and close to 65°C at load. Even if I back the overclock off I'm still only looking at low 40s at idle.
Not sure if the 950 puts out that much more heat than a sandy or ivy but it's still within spec so oh well.

Post Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:06 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Quick Reply

Jump to:  
Forum Rules: