FAQ | Search | Memberlist | Usergroups | Register | Profile | Inbox | Log in | SmartFeedSmartFeed

okgg.org > Forum Index > The LAN Party Itself > We need a fix!

Author    Thread Post new topic  Reply to topic
Goahed Makemyda
Thursday Night Massacre Host

We need a fix!  Reply with quote  

Sorry to be a buzz kill but I had to post this. The Capcha is failing to stop bot posts in the registration and I am tired of policing entries, so I am posting this in the rules. It doesn't mean you have to post your real name for those who are paranoid like that, but garbage text in fields may get your sign-up deleted. If anyone has a suggestion on how to fix our sign-up to stop bot posts, I am open for discussion. Personally I think we need to update the PHPBB or get something better. Any volunteers to help build a better site for FREE, shout out!

NOTICE: Effective Immediately: Use of gibberish in sign-up fields or use of an invalid email address will result in deletion of your reservation. New guests will be emailed by admin staff to confirm they are not a bot post. Failure to answer in 24 hours will result in deletion. This is to prevent filling seat reservations with bot posts. Sorry for the inconvenience!

Post Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:36 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number
LainP7
OKGG Admin

Some interesting alternatives.
http://www.getelastic.com/6-captcha-alternatives-to-improve-conversion/

Another thing we could do is make forum registration mandatory. If you are not a registered user, then your LAN reservation is invalid.

Post Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:26 pm  View user's profile Send private message
Brules
M F C E O

I nominate 7 or Nimda to fix it for free. Smile

Post Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:21 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Sevnn
Candy Cane King

I have some plans on how to fix it, just need time to get it done. The problem is that most of the spam bots that hit us aren't actually bots. Captcha and simple mathematical calculations won't stop a person from typing in the right answer with intent to post spam. Since we don't show the comments they submit, we don't have much they can do to get links onto the roster, but it doesn't stop them from trying.

Forum registration is an option but dealing with phpBB is pretty much a PITA and it would likely lead to more fake registrations. I'm leaning very heavily on email validation. We send you an email and you have to click the link before your registration is complete. This won't stop them from submitting their spam, but I don't think a lot of the spam "bots" will use legitimate email addresses and go through with validation in order to post spam. I've also considered formal registration process where you setup another account that we have to manually approve before you can signup but that is a PITA for both you and us. Another possibility is asking LAN related or localized questions that most spam "bots" wouldn't know the answer to.

Thoughts on these solutions?

Post Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:00 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address ICQ Number
ViperX
pwn3d

I registered but didn't receive an e-mail confirm. Do i need to re-register?

Post Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:59 am  View user's profile Send private message
Sevnn
Candy Cane King

It was sent on March 3rd at 4:19 PM, but you are registered and don't need to re-register.

Post Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:43 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address ICQ Number
Goahed Makemyda

Did someone delete the two in question? I was waiting 24 hours as their email did not bounce.

Post Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:46 am  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number
ViperX
pwn3d

Okay I see what happened for some reason hotmail flagged it as spam and for some reason it didn't go to any of my inboxes in the mozilla thunderbird client.

Post Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:11 pm  View user's profile Send private message
Sevnn
Candy Cane King

I did goat. The registration info was gibberish and the IP addresses where from Europe.

Post Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:04 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address ICQ Number
Goahed Makemyda

Cool thanks...

Post Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:47 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number
LightningCrash
Smile like Bob, order your free LC today

Sevnn wrote: Another possibility is asking LAN related or localized questions that most spam "bots" wouldn't know the answer to.

Thoughts on these solutions?

"What state is the LAN party held in?"

Post Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:38 pm  View user's profile Send private message
Goahed Makemyda

Just deleted 2 more!

Post Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:36 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Quick Reply

Jump to:  
Forum Rules: