FAQ | Search | Memberlist | Usergroups | Register | Profile | Inbox | Log in | SmartFeedSmartFeed

okgg.org > Forum Index > Modding > THe Router Refresh - Project: Sector001

Author    Thread Post new topic  Reply to topic
VinceVaughn
Cougar Hawk

THe Router Refresh - Project: Sector001  Reply with quote  

So if you remember from my server rack project. My current Router is a 1.6ghz intel Atom system that acts as my gateway. Its been great and all but I have future plans for that atom (that will be a whole new project and I will bring that to you guys when I start working on it.). So I have been planning to refresh the build and actually get the router in a rack case for awhile. Well, Newegg decided to have some sales and combo's on the items I had been looking at. So while I had no business ordering the stuff I did end up saving like 80 bucks and scored a free 8400GS graphics card. So here is what I did:

All the goodies came in. The MCE remote is for my media center PC.

I already had the 2GB of 667 ram and a nice 45nm Celeron E3300 Dual core lying around. Don't be fooled by the Celeron branding....this latest line of chips are pretty bad ass and really cheap. Picked up the E3300 on sale for 45 bucks!

The case is a 2u Norco 230. A very good case overall, especially for the low price point. Anyway first things first the regular dull black fans had to go. Replaced them with some red fans..I have to say they look awesome through the front grill.

For the PSU I choose the excellent Antec Earthwatts 380w. Its a very reliable PSU and is also 80 plus certified. Gotta save on the power bills when I can Razz

Installed the PSU in the case.

I love the Green on the PSU it looks really nice....Overall a very good quality PSU would recommend it (you can also get it in beefier 430w flavor)

The Ram and some Thermaltake heat spreaders that I got as part of a craigslist deal. The guy threw them in for free so might as well use them.

Five minutes later and bam! I know they are pretty pointless and mostly overkill in this role but hey....why not Razz

Motherboard and CPU. Its a energy efficient mATX gigabyte board with integrated video. Nothing really special other than being cheap and just what I needed.

Ram and stock intel heatsink installed. Overall a tidy little build.

Installed into the case. Not a whole lot of room in a 2u chassis but I think it will work out pretty good.

Installed a PCI express intel gigabit NIC card. The plan is the internet will come in on the motherboard's integrated NIC and then the PCI express NIC will output to the internal LAN. When the old router is taken off line i will throw my PCI NIC card in for an eventual DMZ deployment.

Scored a Hitachi 500gb SATA drive for 18 bucks in a combo with the PSU. So I will probably keep it in there while I play around with the different Router operating systems out there. The final build will most likely retain the 250gb WD HDD out of the current Router. But this works for right now as my supply of extra HDD's is always in need Razz

HDD installed and hooked up. I can't even imagine cramming four Hard drives and an optical drive into this thing. It is possible but it would be a nightmare.

Everything hooked up and all the drive cages inserted. The empty ones provide handy places to stash extra cables.

Everything all put together and ready to roll.

Now I just have to play around with some distros (Don't get me wrong Server 2003 works great but I want to see if there are bigger and better things out there). I installed Untangle on it today and played around a little. I also want to try pfSense. Also I know Bobacus suggested another but I forgot it already so I need to find that one again. Also if anyone has suggestions I want to hear them.

Here are the links to the Distro's I'm looking at, in case anyone is curious:

http://www.untangle.com/

http://www.pfsense.com/

Post Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:41 am  View user's profile Send private message
Bobacus
Gov. Surplus FTW!

Astaro was the one I mentioned the other day.

Post Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:37 am  View user's profile Send private message
VinceVaughn
Cougar Hawk

thanks man....will check it out Very Happy

Post Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:45 pm  View user's profile Send private message
LightningCrash
Smile like Bob, order your free LC today

oh sweet that deal on the Norcos with the 8400 is awesome

but hell i just use ipcop here at the house on a Dell GX1 Pentium 2- 233 with a quad port nic

faster than a WRT54G by leaps and bounds
probably uses a whole lot more power though...

Post Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:48 pm  View user's profile Send private message
The.Real.Cast
Obama Lemming Looking for the Cliff

give untangle a try. I wouldn't bother with the paid versions for a personal connection. Untangle generally works, but overall customization is pretty limited unless you are willing to dig into the linux guts.

i have several untangle deployments as barebones spam/content filters and they are pretty reliable.

i know of many companies using pfsense as well, I just haven't managed one extensively.

http://www.endian.com/en/community/feature-comparison/

is another option with a similar feature set

it all seems overkill to me when a 5 year old router running dd-wrt makes a beast of a router with little or no power consumption. some routers dont like dd-wrt and may be unstable, others are absolute tanks.

endian is actually kind of cool for giving you easy to implement policy based routing for free. cisco breaks it off in your ASS for that feature. strichauge

Post Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:58 pm  View user's profile Send private message
VinceVaughn
Cougar Hawk

hmmm....my trusty linksys router would just struggle under my traffic loads both with stock and dd-wrt. So thats why I went to this way.

Have to say I like untangle it is easy and nice but I will give Endian a shot.....thanks for the suggestion....

Post Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:34 pm  View user's profile Send private message
LightningCrash

VinceVaughn wrote: hmmm....my trusty linksys router would just struggle under my traffic loads both with stock and dd-wrt.

i had the same problem, more than 10mbps or so and it couldn't keep up... that's why i relegated the linksys to AP duty

of course my GX1 uses about $70 in power every year, so i might have been better off to get a better router Very Happy

Post Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:54 pm  View user's profile Send private message
Nikola
Hung Like a Flea

My WRT-310N works beautifully with DD-WRT pulling down about 35mbps while streaming 1080 to a couple different locations on the network. It's night and day difference between my old WRT-54G series.

Post Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:53 pm  View user's profile Send private message AIM Address ICQ Number
VinceVaughn
Cougar Hawk

that's why i relegated the linksys to AP duty

Thats were mine ended up too XD

Post Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:09 am  View user's profile Send private message
LightningCrash

Nikola wrote: My WRT-310N works beautifully with DD-WRT pulling down about 35mbps while streaming 1080 to a couple different locations on the network. It's night and day difference between my old WRT-54G series.

41.59 on Buy.com, awesome

Post Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:30 am  View user's profile Send private message

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Quick Reply

Jump to:  
Forum Rules: