FAQ | Search | Memberlist | Usergroups | Register | Profile | Inbox | Log in | SmartFeedSmartFeed

okgg.org > Forum Index > Modding > My Server Rack - Work in progress (56k beware) Goto page Previous  1, 2

Author    Thread Post new topic  Reply to topic
LightningCrash
Smile like Bob, order your free LC today

I'm a bug!

http://crackle.com/c/1941#id=2480308&ml=o%3D12%26fpl%3D464472%26fx%3D

Post Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:40 am  View user's profile Send private message
VinceVaughn
Cougar Hawk

Well thanks to Dan I found myself with a rack case. So I ordered a few goodies from newegg and went about rackin up my secondary PC Very Happy

First Up some rails for easy maintenance and use....

Attached the rails to the case....

Mounted the case.....

Some goodies for the comp....Yes those are 25ft DVI cables so I can hook up my two furthest monitors.

Starting the build. The PSU is temporary....I have plans for it later....I just needed a PSU with a little more punch for right now....

Motherboard mounted. Its just an athlon x2 4200+ once again temporary as this will be the future linux box....

my ghetto 8800. It had a faulty fan so I got a defective 8800 from a budy and salvaged the cooler off it....worked out good, just needed some ramsinks.....

Ramsinks are shiny....... Very Happy

The whole system built and ready to rock.....

Rails are awesome Very Happy

System tucked away and running fine Very Happy

Post Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:57 am  View user's profile Send private message
Nikola
Hung Like a Flea

Sexy, that's what I want for my server Very Happy

Post Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:04 am  View user's profile Send private message AIM Address ICQ Number
VinceVaughn
Cougar Hawk

yeah....I really like how it's shaping up.....just can't wait till I can finish it up.... Very Happy

Post Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:44 am  View user's profile Send private message
LightningCrash

It has been several months, any updates?

Post Wed May 05, 2010 7:13 am  View user's profile Send private message
VinceVaughn
Cougar Hawk

got a little sidetracked.....one update that I just finished last weekend.....just need to get the pics downloaded and uploaded.... will try latter tonight.....

Post Wed May 05, 2010 5:59 pm  View user's profile Send private message
VinceVaughn
Cougar Hawk

Got an UPS for my rack....god I love craigslist. Its a Cyberpower 1500AVR, only trouble is it didn't come with rack brackets. Well one call to Cyberpower fixed that....inside 3 minutes they had a couple brackets packed up and shipping out to me....so cyberpower def. earned my business from now on....superb service.

And oh yeah...."UPS cat is watching you masturbate!"

Even has the Serial out so I can monitor it via my server machine....

Got the new brackets and mounted it between the keyboard tray and the secondary computer....

Post Thu May 06, 2010 1:53 pm  View user's profile Send private message
LightningCrash

So you're the guy he was holding that for...

Heavy stuff and Rack stuff is cheap on CL but it's not very common Very Happy

Post Thu May 06, 2010 2:49 pm  View user's profile Send private message
VinceVaughn
Cougar Hawk

So I went ahead and upgraded my webserver and migrated it to the rack....

Previously I was using a P3 800mhz machine I picked up for 20 bucks....

It is an admirable performer....Ran for over a year with 100% uptime.....never gave me any problems whatsoever.....besides being a little slow.....So I finally migrated it to the rack....which has proven to be alot more work than I thought...

So I picked up a set of rails and a nice 80+ efficient 300 watt PSU (The motherboard and HDD are for another project)

I had this case hanging around forever....and decided to mod it to work....this was due to the fact that even a cheap rack case is 80 bucks plus shipping Rolling Eyes

First problem to overcome.....The drive bracket that came with it was not actually made for the case....It had just been loosely set in the case....This wasn't going to do.....

The bracket interfered with the case at two points the first was easily fixed as I just pried the bracket off so it could sit flush....

This tab had to go.....a perfect job for my friend the Vice Grip Laughing

A minute later it was all over and the offending tab was history

With those two pieces of metal gone the drive bracket now fit snugly....And was flush with the bottom of the case. Then I secured it down with Velcro strips. Over all a very sturdy fix to the problem.

This is were I ran into an unseen problem. The old redundant PSU that came with the case had a non-standard mount. So essentially it looked like my plans were out the window. And I really didn't want to use this old PSU as it was loud and boasted a terrible efficiency of less than 67% at load.....so it was off to the drawing board....

So a quick trip to the hardware store yielded a strip of metal and using tinsnips and a drill I fashioned these.....

This is ghetto I know Rolling Eyes But it works....and most of all it was a cheap fix Very Happy

This was the original incarnation....A dual p3 866mhz server with 2gb of ram. And it did work....it just proved finicky....i.e. wouldn't boot from CD's, would lock up, wouldn't update....etc etc etc. So I messed with it for two or three days switching out hardware and troubleshooting. And for the life of me I could not figure out what was up with it....

So I got pissed and switched it out for a AMD system I picked up for a bargain. Its an AM3 AMD Athlon II 240 dual core CPU. After that it booted right up and I was going within the hour. Enabled cool n quiet tech and it clocks the CPU way down while in idle. So power consumption isn't too bad. I know its absolute overkill for a server but hey room to expand right Razz

Then I simply closed her up and slid her into the new home...

Been running fine ever since. In fact all the pics you just looked at are hosted on this machine. I named the machine Forbin after a 70' movie called Colossus: The Forbin Project. I gem of a movie that I highly recommend everyone check out!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0064177/

Post Thu May 06, 2010 3:00 pm  View user's profile Send private message
Brules
M F C E O

Nice man!!! Your projects are always cool to read!!!!!

Post Thu May 06, 2010 4:07 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Shinare
SEXNOCULAR

Very cool, and I dig the cheapo universal PSU mount you invented! Smile

Post Thu May 06, 2010 4:33 pm  View user's profile Send private message ICQ Number
Stealth
I Read Insults for Dummies & Still Fail.

VinceVaughn wrote: I named the machine Forbin after a 70' movie called Colossus: The Forbin Project. I gem of a movie that I highly recommend everyone check out!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0064177/

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7412690463406323384#

Post Thu May 06, 2010 5:55 pm  View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number

Last Thread | Next Thread  > Goto page Previous  1, 2

Quick Reply

Jump to:  
Forum Rules: