FAQ | Search | Memberlist | Usergroups | Register | Profile | Inbox | Log in | SmartFeedSmartFeed

okgg.org > Forum Index > Modding > Got the upgrade bug again...

Author    Thread Post new topic  Reply to topic
singe
You Know You Want Some

Got the upgrade bug again...  Reply with quote  

So about a year ago, I got my current machine. At the time, I was still pretty hard up for cash, and managed to do the entire build for less than $700. I'm still using the base system.

Core2Duo and a nice big heat sink, pleasantly clocked up.

In the past few months, I've added a intel SSD and a GTX 275, and I'm feeling the processor and board lacking now.

Also, while I really like the antec 300, it's just not as mobile as I like.

*sooo*

Nikola was good to point out this lovely case http://www.lan-gear.com/microATX.php

It's what I am looking for in a way - microATX, room for full size cooler and dual gpu.

The downside for me is it's a bit pricy. Has anyone seen anything close to as good as that?

I'm going to build out something nice and portable. I'm thinking i5-750 - the price and performance is at the sweet spot in my eyes. I considered i7-920, but the microATX boards, plus the processor add up, and I'd rather spend that money on another gtx275.

any other suggestions, specificly in the case department?

also, looking for a software-driven fan controler. I don't want knobs on the front of the case.

Post Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:57 pm  View user's profile Send private message
Nikola
Hung Like a Flea

The other cases I have been looking at are the Lian Li v351 and the NZXT Rogue. Unfortunately the Rogue isn't made anymore but you can still find them if you look hard enough.

To be honest I stopped looking as hard after I found that Lan-Gear case because it's just so.... right. Sad

Post Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:02 pm  View user's profile Send private message AIM Address ICQ Number
singe
You Know You Want Some

oooh

http://www.xoxide.com/nzxt-rogue-case-red.html

it's on sale too

I like da box better, but the nzxt is in stock...

hm...

Post Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:10 pm  View user's profile Send private message
Petch
n00b

I am also specing out parts for a new micro build. The case I have my eye on is the Qmicra Qv2E.

http://hivelogix.com/cases/case-qmicra

It's a bit pricey, but its a sexy case and has room for full size heatsink, dual GPUs, full size PSU, and water cooling parts if I choose to go that route.

Post Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:03 am  View user's profile Send private message
Souper Phly
Junkie

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010090007%2050001998%201295819208%201055508421%201055808014&ShowDeactivatedMark=False

Post Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:09 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Bobacus
Gov. Surplus FTW!

If your wanting a QPack, I have one I can sell.

Post Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:46 pm  View user's profile Send private message
VinceVaughn
Cougar Hawk

i also have a Q-Pack....they actually are a pretty descent case....

Post Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:22 am  View user's profile Send private message
Shinare
SEXNOCULAR

I think it was over two years ago (click for pics) I built a computer for my mom and used a blue x-Qpack2 and after 2 years of ownership and hardly any use by my mother I'd have to say that its condition is rather disappointing. The beautiful blue metallic color that was on the front has faded into this patchy, dull, ugly acid-wash looking denim. The thing also showed up at my door with a chip/scratch in the plexy on the top of the case. Also the case material is particularly thin, which, on the good side means a very light case, but on the bad side it has been VERY easy to bend the sides under normal removal/reapplication of the cover (which is a single piece that covers the left, right, and top of the case). Aside from the cosmetic problems her computer has developed what I can only guess is a grounding issue. Just touching anywhere on the case and the slightest static shock will cause the computer to reset. During this past winter it was a particular problem for her as it seams that static builds up a little more readily this time of year. I have on hand another (different kind of) case for her but she has yet to bring me her computer to replace it. She likes the look of the X-Qpack2 too much to replace it with the uglyass cheap piece of crap shell shocker mATX case I ordered off of newegg for $20 shipped. All-in-all I'm not too happy with her X-Qpack2.

Edit: Oh, I also forgot to mention that the front USB ports no longer work. Inspection shows that they are physically broke. I cant say for sure how they broke since its not my computer, but its not like she jams stuff in there or kicks it. She said she just plugged in her Harmony remote one time and it didnt work in the front ports and it does in the back.

Post Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:44 am  View user's profile Send private message ICQ Number
VinceVaughn
Cougar Hawk

odd my black one hasn't faded at all....I wonder if it got some sun through a window or something....

As for the quality of the construction I will admit it is rather flimsy but in its defense the case is rather cheap.....

and oh yeah I just remembered another candidate I had my eye on awhile ago....just never went through with the build....

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811133044

Always have had good experiences with Thermaltake. And I have to say the LANBOX Lite looks good....they also have a upgraded one with a top handle I just didn't think it looked as good as the basic one.....

Just my .02 cents worth.....

Post Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:48 pm  View user's profile Send private message
Nikola
Hung Like a Flea

That Lan-Gear mATX Da Box is back in stock now. I'm going to order one because I don't think there is honestly a better made case in this genre. It definitely is pricey but I think it's worth it.

Post Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:47 pm  View user's profile Send private message AIM Address ICQ Number
TehDanMan
Guerilla Ontologist

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112221&Tpk=PC-V351A

I like that case a lot. Since I broke the handle on my current case, I'm considering that one along with a bunch of new components.

Post Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:06 am  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Shinare
SEXNOCULAR

VinceVaughn wrote: ..As for the quality of the construction I will admit it is rather flimsy but in its defense the case is rather cheap.....

I guess you and I are on a different page when it comes to costs of cases. To me, if you spend almost $120 on a case (including shipping), it should at least last you 2 or 3 builds. To me, a cheap case is something under $50. Smile

Post Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:48 am  View user's profile Send private message ICQ Number
singe
You Know You Want Some

Ordered dabox today

Not sure if I should go p55 or x58.

Watned to save some money... but if I go x58 I am future resistant. I don't like the max 16 lanes of pciE that p55 is stuck with, not to mention the new 6 core intel. We will probablly have 8 core in a few years that x58 would support.

Nice EVGA, but negative reviews scare me.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813188051&cm_re=evga_x58-_-13-188-051-_-Product

may hold off for a new make/model that has newer sata spec and usb3

Post Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:36 am  View user's profile Send private message
Nikola
Hung Like a Flea

For X58 mATX there are only two choices really that make sense to me. The EVGA X58 Micro SLI and the Asus Rampage II Gene. They're pretty much equal in regards to performance, really it depends on what color scheme you want =P

Not sure what is coming in the near future but hopefully MSI will bring their latest offering to the mATX form factor. It really is a thing of beauty.

EDIT: Damn it, your words make too much sense! I may end up waiting on my mATX X58 board as well for SATA3 and USB3. I am notoriously impatient about these things though so we'll see.

Post Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:41 am  View user's profile Send private message AIM Address ICQ Number
VinceVaughn
Cougar Hawk

My Q-pack has its second build in it now....so far so good....I am pretty careful with my stuff though....but then again you taking this one on the road to LANs.....I would say it all comes down to what you trust your components in?

Nice EVGA, but negative reviews scare me.

for the record I pick and choose what newegg customer reviews I give credence too....I have read too many that take eggs off for retarded shit.....and I refuse to believe everyone on there is a "high" tech knowledge.....

Post Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:06 am  View user's profile Send private message
Nikola
Hung Like a Flea

VinceVaughn wrote: for the record I pick and choose what newegg customer reviews I give credence too....I have read too many that take eggs off for retarded shit.....and I refuse to believe everyone on there is a "high" tech knowledge.....

QFT. Newegg Reviews generally don't mean anything. Do research on the board, don't take Newegg customer reviews into consideration unless you can't find other info.

Post Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:27 am  View user's profile Send private message AIM Address ICQ Number
singe
You Know You Want Some

damnit... timeout ate my post
oh that sucks.

ok so now I only post short about it.

Shipped to wrong address
had to go get it myself from ups
was sent the wrong one. (I wanted window and got no window)

coolermaster 120s.

Thick aluminum and feels sturdy. Product is still a little rough. Only power/reset are pre-mounted. all other lights and headers are on PCBs and can be mounted or tweaked out.

I am very happy with actual product

Post Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:37 pm  View user's profile Send private message
Nikola
Hung Like a Flea

LOL, yeah I got the wrong case as well but I already emailed them and they are shipping me the correct case and giving me a label to return the one I have. Same as you, I ordered window and got one without and the product is a little rough but I think it's definitely a really nice case.

Hopefully I'll have a motherboard for it by the time I get the correct case.

Post Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:25 pm  View user's profile Send private message AIM Address ICQ Number

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Quick Reply

Jump to:  
Forum Rules: