FAQ | Search | Memberlist | Usergroups | Register | Profile | Inbox | Log in | SmartFeedSmartFeed

okgg.org > Forum Index > Home Improvement > Comments and Questions Regardinging the LAN Party.

Author    Thread Post new topic  Reply to topic
A_Pacifist
Sand Filter

Comments and Questions Regardinging the LAN Party.  Reply with quote  

Now, after reading your rules I've got a few questions that are not fully explained, and some comments to make as well.

Firstly, I shall start with questions:

1) If you did not register for the LAN is it still possible to attend it? It is actually never defined or stated within the confines of the rule PDF.

2) With regards to the Location is it safe to assume that it is the one that is listed because there is never a cocksure statement that says the LAN is here this weekend. That kind of information would be highly beneficial for newbies, such as myself.

3) What if someone must contact you? Is it only done through e-mail? After reading through the rules and the website I never found a clause that dealt with this particular question anywhere. So I have resorted to registering and PMing as I could not find anything else.

4) The waiver deal? I understand the need for a waiver, but unless people read the bloody rules how are you supposed to know to bring it? Most people do not read such things.

5) The last question I have is about the age limit. It confuses me that on the registration forum you have a check box to ask the age of the participant, and then the request gets approved, but if you read the rules that clearly becomes belied by the fact that it says verbatim: "You must be 21 or older to attend". So I'm more than curious about that.

Now, some comments. Basically things that I suggest to make those who are newbies to the whole OKGG thing are as follows:

1) Contact information. Seriously. It would really help if it were clearly stated somewhere, "Hey, this is how to ask questions so you don't get confused."

2) Clearly state where the LAN will be. Because if you do not then newbies are going to be forced to assume where it is. Of course we all know what assume means right?

Really my biggest suggestion is to clearly state things. If someone has questions regarding it how are you supposed to know where or how to get in contact with people who are running this. Let us face it. If you had not been going to these LAN parties for years how would know that you need this or that? You wouldn't. Now, I know that if you dig enough most information is there. But I feel that it is sometimes not clearly enough stated. Remember not everyone who attends LANs is inclined to go digging. I am an individual who really is kind of odd and does exactly that. I'm not trying to sound like a know-it-all or sound like I'm demeaning the point or concept of the LAN. Not at all. I'm just merely trying to make it easier and more accessible to folks who want to start going to this LAN, but have questions regarding it.

The reason I send this e-mail is because I heard about this LAN through word of mouth and would like to start attending, but it appears as if the information given is a bit cryptic. Of course I've also been turned off by the fact that I'm not 21. Granted I'm 20, but I will not be 21 until October of this year. But that is a big deterrent because I simply love LAN parties.

As I stated before I did not write this to be mean or anything like that. I've wrote this out of confusion more than anything. I mean no disrespect by it or such. I would just like some more concrete and firm information regarding the LAN party because I would like to start attending it. But it has been quite difficult for me to ascertain certain tidbits of information regarding this.

Respectfully,
-Austin "A_Pacifist" Simons

Post Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:28 pm  View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
TehDanMan
Guerilla Ontologist

1) You can show up, but if there isn't a spot then there isn't a spot. If you sign up and you make it on the first 20, you are guaranteed a spot. If you sign up and are not here, you lose your spot until you show up, as long as it is before 6pm.

2) On the homepage, there is a link to details. http://www.okgg.org/details.php

Come Join Us for The OKGG LAN Each Month! The Oklahoma Gamer's Group holds it's LAN Party on the THIRD Saturday of each month. Since we do experience location changes you should ALWAYS read the forum or home page NEWS topic to see where we are each month. Approximate set-up time for the staff is 10:00am. Officially we start gaming around 11:00am. (You are welcome to show up at set-up time and help the staff if you wish, and get a good seat.) We usually play until 12:00am or until there are 4 or less players remaining.

ALWAYS check the forums or this page for our LAN location before coming out. Our current location is at Meridian Data Systems - 5940 NW 120th Ct, Oklahoma City, OK 73162 near the intersection of NW 122nd & MacArthur. Access to local restaurants, plenty of parking. Refrigerator for drinks in building. Outdoor smoking. For a map and driving directions, Click Here.

As there are only a few chairs available we advise you to bring a chair of your own, even a folding chair works. If you can't do this, contact one of the staff to arrange for them to provide one for you. We have to bring them to the location so don't forget!

3) If someone must contact you, then I recommend a cellphone. My mom calls me all the time too. If you want to contact staff, yes email would be good. Just look and see who is staff in the forums by browsing users.

4) It is important to find out the rules of any event you attend. The waiver states clearly that you are responsible for your own person and property at the LAN. I think the rules for behavior should be judge by normal social norms, and you'd probably be fine. But, if you break a law, you aren't absolved of responsibility because you didn't know the law. It works the same with any event you attend.

5) You must be adult enough to behave okay, no kicking shins, and the "are you 21?" question in the signup is to find out if you're 21 yet. Not all rules are hard rules, and we are reasonable people.

Comments:

1) Seriously Smile Yeah, there isn't a plethora of well defined, contact these people kind of information. Maybe there should be, but you seemed to have found a contact avenue. Very Happy

2) The LAN is clearly stated in the details link on the main page that I linked to above. If someone is too lazy to click a link on the main page. Read the labeled sections of information, read all pertinent information, on one page presented in a clear and concise manner, then well, I don't expect they'd get a whole lot done in life.

I'm not staff, but there are a couple people that aren't quite 21, so I'm sure if you're not completely immature, you'll be fine. I am confident that you probably won't bother anyone at the LAN.

If I sound like a dick, I don't mean it, just want to provide clear information for ya.

I hope you come out; you'll have tons of fun.

Peace,

Dan

Post Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:59 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Quick Reply

Jump to:  
Forum Rules: