FAQ | Search | Memberlist | Usergroups | Register | Profile | Inbox | Log in | SmartFeedSmartFeed

okgg.org > Forum Index > IRL > Who are you and what do you do? Goto page Previous  1, 2

Author    Thread Post new topic  Reply to topic
Despite
I am Chaotic Good Bitchy.

Shinare wrote: General question to everyone: Ever get sick of doing what you do?

I'm right there, right now. Sometimes I wonder if I shouldn't give programing another chance. I'm sick of dealing with the endless torrent of sysadmin/network admin daily bull-crap. Worrying about business continuity, security, AV, malware, software/hardware compatibility, servers, PC's, every freaking business software under the sun, switches, routers, cables, dealing with old tech, learning about new tech on the horizon, vertualization, being the printer guy, website guy, copier guy, Email guy, on and on an on... I'm just sick of being "Jack of all trades" man here.

holy shit dude, get out of my head! you know, I'm the Technology Director for the biggest school district in the county, and yet still, somehow, I'm the guy who has to go clean up the mess when some dumbass opens the postcard.zip that they just got from "Hallmark".

Post Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:50 pm  View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ICQ Number
Menos
Broke My Labia

Dammit bobby... why weren't you looking when we needed a vb.net dev? Now they've filled the position and its gonna be a nightmare Sad I still have no idea why they hired this person.....

Post Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:03 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Brules
M F C E O

General question to everyone: Ever get sick of doing what you do?

Fotunately no, I have a super cool job that is always changing and never the same. I solve people storage problems, provide kick fucking ass solutions, make them happy and make $ while doing it. I hope I get to do this forever. Smile

Post Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:09 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
LightningCrash
Smile like Bob, order your free LC today

Shinare wrote: General question to everyone: Ever get sick of doing what you do?

I'm right there, right now. Sometimes I wonder if I shouldn't give programing another chance. I'm sick of dealing with the endless torrent of sysadmin/network admin daily bull-crap. Worrying about business continuity, security, AV, malware, software/hardware compatibility, servers, PC's, every freaking business software under the sun, switches, routers, cables, dealing with old tech, learning about new tech on the horizon, vertualization, being the printer guy, website guy, copier guy, Email guy, on and on an on... I'm just sick of being "Jack of all trades" man here.

Your position is likewise similar to a position I previously held. The problem with this approach is that you never get significant enough specialization in a field to make the money that accompanies such capabilities. Increase your specialization, move into that field, bank more cash. It's as simple as that.
If this means you become Mr VMWare, or Mr Clustered Apache Man, then that's up to you. The important thing is that you make sure that the more you stretch your skillset into a specific area, the more money you make. So you'll also have to balance what you want to do with what it will pay, and the number of jobs available in that field.

Post Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:20 am  View user's profile Send private message
Brules
M F C E O

Ha, I am a comissioned salesman....and incredibly specialized. There are maybe 300 people in the US that do what I do. Wink

In Arkansas there are 4 of us, 2 are me and another guy, the other 2 are competitors that are 69 and 70 years old. Smile In a few years we will be the only game in town!

Post Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:52 am  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Killaholic
2173 Posts and still a shitty title!

Brules wrote: Ha, I am a comissioned salesman....and incredibly specialized. There are maybe 300 people in the US that do what I do. Wink

In Arkansas there are 4 of us, 2 are me and another guy, the other 2 are competitors that are 69 and 70 years old. Smile In a few years we will be the only game in town!

What is it that you do?

Post Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:09 pm  View user's profile Send private message
Brules
M F C E O

1st page.

Post Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:07 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
LightningCrash
Smile like Bob, order your free LC today

You do the 1st Page? 1st Page of what?

Post Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:29 am  View user's profile Send private message
TehDanMan
Guerilla Ontologist

First page of the Kama Sutra.

Post Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:16 pm  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
blu
Step on my cubes.

I spent hours watching this:

Link

Post Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:15 pm  View user's profile Send private message

Last Thread | Next Thread  > Goto page Previous  1, 2

Quick Reply

Jump to:  
Forum Rules: